I am stuck at the final hurdle to getting the Bug back on the road
Have a new Spax rear shock and water pump on their way Engine runs beautifully and starts on the button every time
'DNY' previously had been converted to hydraulic clutch operation when using a Rialto or 80's Robin gearbox. That gearbox was modified so that the clutch actuation arm was shorter and repositioned slightly more forward.
I have since replaced that gearbox and fitted an engine from a very low mileage 2001 Robin. The replacement gearbox now has a clutch arm that is longer and further back than the gearbox it replaced.
The Bug is still fitted with a bracket to allow fitnent of a clutch slave which of course NOW does not work with the new gearbox.
My question is; is there a bracket or mounting available to allow fitment of a clutch slave that will would work on a standard Unmodified Robin gearbox that has a non carbon thrust throw out bearing (roller bearing) clutch design.
Has anyone else come up with a solution when using a Robin gearbox as I am now considering using a pull type clutch slave (which I believe may prove unreliable compared to a push type slave cylinder).
A Bug owner in North East London told me you could flip the clutch actuation arm over so it exits the gearbox on the L/H exhaust side and bolt a slave onto the gearbox bell housing. I am not sure if that would work though.
I don't want to use the previous gearbox as I cannot get the spring pins out of the clutch actuation arm and would have to replace the flywheel and clutch on the newer engine and revert back to a carbon clutch bearing.
Floyd, I did a similar set up as you however instead of a hole through set-up I cut off the plate and formed a bracket to hold the rear of the piston. The cylinder is orientated to the top for bleeding, and hard piped with a pigs tail to prevent fracturing. It's been on the car for some eight years and to date no problems. regards Bill